MINISTRY OF HIGHER EDUCATION & SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH
The Minister of Higher Education & Scientific Research
No. (41) of 2008, Concerning
Establishing and Organizing the National Research Foundation
The Minister of Higher Education & Scientific Research,
- Having taking cognizance of Federal Law No. (4) of 1992 concerning the establishment and organization of the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research, and
- Based on the Council of Ministers’ Decision No. (180/4) of 2007, in its 10th Extra-ordinary Session held on 13 – 14 / 7 /2007, during which the Strategy of the Ministry of Higher Education & Scientific Research was ratified, including the establishment of the National Research Foundation as a subsidiary of the Ministry of Higher Education & Scientific Research.
Decided as follows:
The National Research Foundation shall be established; it shall report directly to the Minister of Higher Education & Scientific Research.
The mission of the National Research Foundation shall be to build and enhance the Country’s research capacities, so as to support its economic and social endeavors and to boost all projects and processes in the Country which are based on knowledge, through the implementation of a national program for research and development to secure excellence and distinction of performance provided to all levels and sectors of the community. This – in turn – will place the Country in a privileged position in the global system of knowledge production and development of technology.
The specific functions and tasks of the National Research Foundation shall be as follows:
- Define the fields of scientific research which must be given priority in the Country, prepare “annual research plan” – the performance of which must be monitored and supervised through the agreements entered into with the various Universities, colleges, research centers or with organizations or individuals to meet this purpose.
- Develop and encourage specialized cadres which are capable of performing scientific research projects and development of same.
- Provide financial funds as required to perform scientific research – whether from the government’s budget or other financial sources, local and/or international – including donations, offers or endowments.
- Special budgets and financial resources must be specifically set aside for the purpose of performing scientific research, including researchers’ fees and/or relevant scholarship expenses due for payment to universities, institutions or colleges, and public sector’s scientific research laboratories and utilities.
- Enhance and facilitate technologies through continuous transformation and development of managerial, scientific and productive procedures effectively.
- Boost good relations among various parties and institutions which are concerned with scientific research in the Country, as well as with private and public organizations, particularly among universities, colleges and scientific research centers. This practice also includes promoting relations with foreign firms and organizations, entering into agreements with them through international, meetings, and forums.
- Hold and conduct scientific research conferences and forums; set up detailed information and data base records to support research work throughout the stages of its implementation.
- Emphasize and promote the Country’s position in the international field of scientific research programs.
- Coordinate with the concerned government authorities concerning the issues of protecting and preserving "intellectual property rights".
- Issue an annual report covering the accomplishments and achievements performed by the NRF (National Research Foundation), along with the best procedures to boost and develop them regularly.
National Research Foundation shall have a “board of trustees”, under the chairmanship of the Minister of Higher Education & Scientific Research. It shall also have a director, who will be in charge of all its plans, responsibilities and activities – he shall also be a member of the Board of Trustees. The Board shall also comprise members who are appointed by the Minister and enjoy good experience in the various government sectors. The Board shall be in office for a three-year term, renewable for similar periods.
The Board shall convene at least twice yearly, upon being invited by its Chairman, who may also invite other advisors or consultants to attend Board meetings.
The Board of Trustees shall take charge of the following tasks:
- Ratification of the general policies of the National Research Foundation and coordination of their implementation.
- Study systems and regulations which are followed by the Authority after being issued as per a ministerial decision.
- Adoption of the draft of annual budget, follow up its implementation upon ratification, as specified in the Authority’s regulations/by-laws.
- Approval of annual funding plan to finance the Authority’s projects.
- Acceptance of donations, wills, gifts and Waqfs (endowments), etc., provided they do not conflict with the Authority’s purposes.
- Any other topics or matters referred to the Authority by the Minister of Higher Education & Scientific Research.
The Director of the Authority shall be appointed by a decision issued by the Minister of Higher Education & Scientific Research. The chosen director must meet the required terms of appointment and enjoy good experience in the research field; meanwhile, he shall act as a secretary general to the Board of Trustees.
The Authority shall have its own organizational structure, which shall be issued as per a decision from the Minister of Higher Education & Scientific Research, who shall also issue the decisions required for the implementation of the Authority’s structure.
The Authority shall have a special budget, which shall be ratified and monitored by the Board of Trustees in accordance with the Authority’s regulations/by-laws.
The set-up of the Authority’s financing shall comprise the following:
- Annual funds as set for the Authority in the Country’s budget.
- Other financial revenues as approved by the Authorities Council
The Minister of Higher Education & Scientific Research shall ratify the annual plan of the Authority, which shall be officially issued upon presentation to, and approval by, the Board of Trustees.
Upon such time as the Board of Directors is formed, or in case of its absence, the Minister of Higher Education & Scientific Research shall take direct charge of all authorities and responsibilities assigned to the Council.
This Decision will have its own by-laws/regulations for implementation, which shall be issued by a decision from the Minister of Higher Education & Scientific Research.
This Decision shall become effective as of the day issued.
Nahayan Mabarak Al-Nahayan
Issued on: 1/3/1429 – corresponding to 9/3/2008
Was this page helpful?