The National Research Foundation (NRF) of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) advances the UAE national research agenda by awarding grants for research on a competitive basis in those fields of endeavor that will improve the quality of life of the citizens of UAE or contribute to the advancement of the UAE as a knowledge-based society.
The NRF recognizes that mobility of researchers and freedom of research are essential, as research thrives in dynamic environments and new concepts and products arise from the exchange of ideas and the pooling of great minds.
Researchers have been on the move since Ancient times. During the Middle Ages, e.g. the great advancements in astronomy, medicine and mathematics in the Arab World were distributed across Europe via Al Andalus. Since these first steps, mobility of researchers, thinkers and innovators has allowed the circulation of ideas, the exchange of concepts and the dissemination of techniques.
Mobility of researchers has been of high importance in previous times and is crucial today. The grand challenges that our knowledge-based society is facing can only be achieved by new ideas, knowledge and techniques brought forward by highly trained researchers embedded in international networks of collaborators. Thus, mobility of researchers needs to be encouraged, structured and sustained.
The Young Emirati Postgraduate Research Students Mobility Award (YEPRSMA) 2011 program is intended to encourage young Emirati postgraduate research students to explore academic environments outside the UAE, gain knowledge in the relevant field of study and establish international networks. YERMA aims to reinforce the international dimension of the career of Emirati researchers by giving them the opportunity to be trained and acquire new knowledge in a high-level organization active in research, established outside the UAE during an outgoing phase. Subsequently, these researchers will return with the acquired knowledge and experience to their home organization.
- Allow young Emirati researchers to realize an outgoing phase to an international host organization for training and acquiring new knowledge.
- Reinforce the international dimension of the career of Emirati researchers.
- Transfer internationally gained knowledge to home organization in the UAE.
- Encourage young Emirati researchers to establish an international network of collaboration.
Applicant must be:
- A UAE National citizen.
- Must have completed undergraduate studies in any accredited Higher Education Institution in UAE or worldwide & must have certified proof of successful completion of studies.
- Must be enrolled in a postgraduate research program (e.g. Master’s by research or PhD studies) in an accredited Higher Education Institution in UAE or worldwide at the time of submission and must provide certified proof of enrolment.
- Applicants of all ages may apply.
If any of the above conditions are not met, then NRF reserves the right to declare the nominee ineligible.
- 21 November 2011: Deadline for nominee submission
- 22 December 2011: External evaluation of applications completed
- 2 January 2012: NRF sends notification on jury decision
- January 2012: Prize Awarding Ceremony
Grant Terms and Conditions
National Research Foundation Terms and Conditions
YEPRSMA 2011 Call for Submission of Proposals
Young Emirati Postgraduate Research Students Mobility Award (YEPRSMA) 2011
YEPRSMA Application Form screenshot - NOT TO BE SUBMITTED
To Apply click here.
Application is open only to UAE National Citizens.
Please email email@example.com